Flooding in Your Home? Heres Some Quick Tips to Insure Your Safety!
Standing water from floods and even smaller puddles in your Guelph area home can become a source of disease and possible electrocution. All kinds of things can be found in standing water such as animal waste, rotted plants, downed power lines, household waste, sewage and even wild animals. If the water damage is inside your home, immediately turn off the electricity to your home and watch for any sources that might be contributing to accumulating debris, especially in bathrooms and kitchens.
To help reduce your risk to certain hazards associated with floods, SERVPRO of Guelph suggests:
- Don’t drive in flooded areas.
- Stay out of floodwater to prevent yourself from getting sick.
- If you come into contact with floodwater, wash the area with soap and water as soon as you can.
- Use alcohol-based wipes or sanitizer.
- Wash clothes in hot water and detergent.
- If you must enter floodwater, try to protect yourself by wearing rubber boots and gloves.
- Be wary of sharp objects in floodwater.
- If you are wounded, see a medical professional to determine whether or not you might need a tetanus booster.
- Do not eat or drink anything contaminated by floodwater.
- Do not let children play in floodwater.
If you find yourself dealing with any type of water damage, contact SERVPRO of Guelph right away at (519) 837-8787. We will be there and make your disaster “Like it never even happened.”