Recent Community Posts

THANK YOU!

5/9/2020 (Permalink)

pictures of thank you signs in our community THANK YOU FRONTLINERS!

SERVPRO of Guelph has installed over 100 signs in our community to say Thank You to our Frontliners. We appreciate everyone on the front lines who is helping with this pandemic. We hope when you see the signs, you know how just how thankful we are for all your efforts.

From our team to yours, THANK YOU!

We Stand with Nova Scotia

4/22/2020 (Permalink)

Map of Nova Scotia with a green heart in it We Stand with Nova Scotia

Our thoughts, prayers and condolences are with the families, friends and colleagues of those who lost their lives in such a senseless act of violence.

We stand with Nova Scotians during this most difficult time.

Thank You

4/7/2020 (Permalink)

Every crisis has its heroes, every disaster displays acts of selflessness and sacrifice. Thank You to the medical professionals and first responders working to keep us safe! To everyone working on the frontlines to fight the Coronavirus, Thank You and Be Safe!

From our Team to Yours, Thank you!

Have a Happy and Safe Holiday Season

12/19/2019 (Permalink)

Our Team at SERVPRO® of Guelph would like to offer our warmest thoughts and best wishes for a wonderful Holiday Season and a new year of Health, Happiness and Prosperity.

As we enter the Holiday's we would like to share some safety tips for the season.

Christmas trees

  • If buying a real Christmas tree, make sure it’s fresh—a freshly cut tree is less of a fire hazard.
  • You can test for freshness by tapping the butt of the tree on the ground; if fresh, very few needles should fall off.
  • Place the tree in a stand that will hold two to three litres of water and top it up daily.
  • Do not set your tree up near a heat source such as a radiator, television, fireplace, heating duct or sunny window. Do not block doors or windows.
  • Remove the tree within 10 to 14 days. After that amount of time in a heated building, even the freshest tree can start to dry out. Watch for needles to start falling off—then it is time to discard the tree.

Tree lights and decorations

  • Use lights that are Canadian Standards Association (CSA) approved.
  • Check for and discard frayed, broken and exposed wires.
  • Replace any damaged or burnt-out lights with energy efficient light bulbs.
  • Use the proper lights for the environment. Indoor light strings/sets should not be used outdoors because they lack weatherproof connections. Some outdoor light strings/sets burn too hot indoors.
  • Use caution with decorations—use flame-retardant, non-combustible, non-conductive decorations.
  • Never use lighted candles on the tree.
  • Remember turn off all tree or display lights before leaving the house or going to bed.

Candles

  • Place candles away from anything that could catch fire.
  • Never leave burning candles unattended.
  • Burn candles only when a responsible adult is overseeing the flame.
  • Put candles in sturdy holders on a stable surface, well away from drafts, curtains, children and pets.
  • Snuff them out before leaving the room or going to sleep.

Fireplace

  • Never burn gift wrappings, boxes, cartons, or other types of packing in the fireplace. They burn too rapidly and generate too much heat.
  • Don’t hang Christmas stockings from the mantel when the fireplace is in use.
  • Never leave the fire unattended or let it smoulder.
  • Clean the ashes regularly. Place the ashes in a metal container and store outside away from flammable materials.
  • Don’t use Christmas trees for firewood.

Electrical considerations

  • There is often a tendency to overload wall outlets during the holiday season. This is an unsafe practice and should be avoided even for short durations.
  • Inspect all cords before using. Make sure they are Canadian Standards Association (CSA) certified. Look for loose connections or frayed or exposed wire. Discard any defective cords. Read the labels and manufacturer’s instructions to ensure proper use.
  • Insert plugs fully into outlets. Poor contact may cause overheating or shock.
  • To avoid possible overheating, do not coil or bunch an extension cord which is in use and do not run it under carpets or rugs.

Kitchen/cooking

  • When doing your holiday cooking, never leave the kitchen unattended.
  • Prevent a fire from occurring; turn off the stove when you leave the kitchen, even if it is only for a few minutes.
  • Wear tight-fitting or rolled-up sleeves when cooking and keep all combustible materials a safe distance from the stove.
  • Grease and fat fires are a leading cause of home fires in Canada, so be extra careful when doing this kind of cooking. Here’s what to do if grease in a pot or pan catches fire:
    • Smother the flames by covering the pan with a lid
    • Turn off the heat immediately
    • Use baking soda (flour can be explosive) on shallow grease fires
    • Never turn on the overhead fan, as this could spread the fire
    • Never throw water on a grease fire